Graduate Fire Engineer
NESC is a professional engineering support provider, specialising in high hazard and high consequence engineering and people assurance.
Principally focussed towards the defence and civil nuclear industries, NESC is a multidisciplinary engineering consultancy, which thrives on tackling engineering challenges head on, deriving logical and cost-effective solutions to complex problems.
NESC recognises that in order to maintain and grow, we are reliant on the identification/retention of highly motivated suitably qualified and experienced people (SQEP), and as a result we currently have a number of vacancies for Fire Engineers based out of our Plymouth office.
About the Role
Right now, we are looking for graduates to join our developing team of engineers based in our office in Plymouth, UK.
Your role will encompass all aspects of fire safety engineering. This will involve production and delivery of:
- Fire strategies,
- Fire hazard identification,
- Fire hazard analysis/assessment.
You will also be working as part of a Nuclear Safety Team and will be involved in the development and delivery of Nuclear Safety Cases. Subsequently, this role will allow you to develop an understanding of nuclear safety and radiological protection processes.
Once you’ve started your career at NESC, we will fund your development through the continuation of training. Through the experience you gain whilst training, we will then support you with obtaining Chartership in order to become a professional engineer.
- Bachelor’s (predicted or achieved a 2:1 or higher) and/or Master’s degree in Fire Engineering, Fire Risk Engineering, Fire Safety Engineering, Structural and Fire Safety Engineering or Fire and Explosion Engineering.
- We will consider other relevant degrees including Nuclear Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics and Aeronautical Engineering with relevant fire engineering/thermodynamics modules.
Essential Skills, Experience and Behaviours
- Eligible to gain security clearance.
- Excellent written English, and able to provide evidence/example of own work, if requested
- Strong numerical skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Strong ability to communicate in all situations and at different professional levels.
- Excellent leadership, negotiation and decision-making skills.
- Willingness to learn and ability to diversify across multiple projects and domains.
- Flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans.
- Experience with fire modelling software (such as Zone and CFD fire modelling).